7000 W. 127th Street, Palos Heights, IL 60463

708-448-LAWS [708-448-5297]

Law Office of James A. Podgorny

Palos Heights Child Support Lawyer

Crestwood child support lawyer

Attorney for Child Expenses in Divorce and Paternity Cases in Orland Park, Oak Lawn, and Oak Forest

Child support is money a parent pays to another parent for expenses related to the care of their child after divorce or in a paternity case. While not all divorces require the establishment of child support, most do, and it is historically among the most contentious elements of post-divorce life.

Sometimes, a parent cannot pay because of unforeseen circumstances, like unemployment or a serious medical condition. Others simply decide they do not want to pay and forsake their responsibility to their child. There are many other scenarios that fall somewhere in between.

Depending on the level of cooperation between spouses, child support can be decided by joint agreement or by court order. At the Law Office of James A. Podgorny, we understand the increased financial stress felt by single parents who depend on child support to get by, and we will aggressively pursue the support amount that ensures your family's financial stability.

Who Pays Child Support?

A non-custodial parent (those with the lesser share of parenting time) typically pays the other to help with basic expenditures related to their child until they are 18 years old, or 19 if they are still in high school. These payments may also continue for a non-minor's college expenses either voluntarily or through a judge's order.

In Illinois, child support payments are determined by an income shares model now utilized in a majority of states. The figure is tabulated using a chart that lists ranges for the monthly combined adjusted net income for the parents and sets child support amounts for up to six children, applicable to each range.

For instance, for parents with a combined net income of $3,000, monthly support is $643 for one child and goes up to $1,577 for six children. The court may deviate from these amounts (either higher or lower) after consideration of further evidence, including:

  • The financial resources and needs of the child and parents
  • The standard of living the child would have had without divorce
  • The physical, mental, emotional, and educational needs of the child

These same rules apply for parents who never married. The Law Office of James A. Podgorny can help establish legal parentage in cases in which two parties do not agree on who the father is. This must be settled prior to any child support proceedings.

Child Support After Divorce

In Illinois, child support is monitored by the Department of Healthcare and Family Services, which offers an online payment system for custodial and non-custodial parents, so a payment history is maintained through the agency. They also utilize income withholding procedures to secure payments from those with a history of delinquency. This is accomplished through an income withholding order, which is filled out, sent to a judge for approval, and then delivered to the employer of the parent who owes support. Employers are legally obligated to comply by the next pay period or within 14 days of receipt.

Sometimes, life changes necessitate alterations to your child support order. The Law Office of James A. Podgorny can illustrate the exact reasons for the required adjustment as part of the state's modification review process. Support orders are eligible for review every three years, or anytime there is a significant change in a child's needs or the non-custodial parent's income. 

Contact a Cook County Divorce Lawyer

The Law Office of James A. Podgorny will serve as your advocate in the establishment and long-term enforcement of child support. Contact a Joliet divorce attorney at 708-448-5297 for a free consultation. We serve clients throughout Will County, Crestwood, Palos Park, Palos Hills, Worth, Alsip, and Burbank.

Chicago Bar Association Illinois state bar association
Back to Top